Croatia uses the euro – level 1
On January 1, 2023, Croatia starts to use the euro. Everything is more expensive now. The prices of all products go up by five to twenty percent. Some things cost 30% more than in December.
These changes are very big. People are upset. Some people must find a second job.
Sellers say that materials and energy is more expensive. The situation is not true. The prices do not go up in the last two months. Some traders use the euro to increase prices.
Inspectors check hundreds of businesses. Inspectors find that 40% of businesses increase prices too much. The government asks them to lower prices. They will pay a fine if they don’t.
Difficult words: increase (to make something bigger or greater), inspector (a person who checks if people follow rules), fine (money which someone must pay if he breaks a rule).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos