Crocodile attacks a girl – level 2
Last week, Amelie Osborn-Smith from Hampshire, UK, was whitewater rafting on the Zambezi river in Zambia. Suddenly, a crocodile attacked her.
The animal bit the girl’s leg, and it wanted to pull her under the water. Crocodiles normally do this with their prey. They pull it under the water and turn around several times. This way, they kill the prey.
Amelie was lucky because her father and friends frightened off the animal. The girl had injuries on her leg, foot, and lip, and she went to a hospital in Zambia.
Now, Amelie is in a hospital in London, UK. She is having nightmares, and she often remembers the attack. Still, she said that she was not afraid to return to Zambia. She said that one bad experience should not stop people from enjoying their lives.
Difficult words: whitewater rafting (an activity when people ride in a small boat full of air through dangerous parts of a river), prey (an animal which is food of a larger animal), to frighten off (to scare a person or animal so they go away).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.