Crossing a River in the Air – level 2
In Ukraine, a 78-year-old woman lives in a small village where a river blocks access to shopping. She has to walk several kilometres for 30 minutes, or she can use a flying trough. Fifty years ago, the woman’s husband invented it.
On the trough, it takes only five minutes to cross the river. The woman says that the river did not used to scare her, but now it scares her because she thinks that she would not be strong enough to get to the riverbank if she fell.
The local government plans to build a bridge near her home.
Difficult words: access (a way to get somewhere), flying trough (a thing made from pulleys and ropes to pull something up in the air), riverbank (the edge of a river).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos