Dam in Brazil bursts – level 2
A dam in southeast Brazil burst. The water from the dam killed at least 15 people and more than 45 people are still missing.
A big mining company owns the dam. It built the dam to hold back water and residue from mining operations – a mixture that is often toxic.
The water destroyed villages and around 600 people had to evacuate. We do not yet know why the dam burst.
Difficult words: dam (a big wall which holds water), burst (to break open), residue (leftover – something which is left).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think happened to the dam?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos