Dam in Laos – level 3
In a remote part of Laos, part of an under-construction hydroelectric power plant sunk by 11 centimetres on Friday 20th. The following week, the dam collapsed.
More than 5 billion cubic metres of water was released onto nearby villages – at least 19 people died, 6,000 lost their homes, and more than 3,000 are still in need of rescue. The South Korean company responsible for the dam’s construction is helping with the rescue efforts.
Difficult words: hydroelectric (using water to make electricity), power plant (a place where electricity is made), remote (isolated, far from where most people live), dam (a big wall which holds water to make a lake).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos