Danger in Northern California – level 2
Oroville Dam is located in northern California and it is the tallest dam in the USA. People built it between 1962 and 1968. It is 230 metres high, which is 12 metres taller than the famous Hoover Dam.
People found that two overflow channels of the Oroville Dam were damaged. People are afraid that too much water could be released from the dam. Nearly 200,000 people had to evacuate.
As the people are driving away, the roads are congested. Only 500 people have come to an evacuation centre in a nearby town.
Difficult words: dam (a big wall which holds water), overflow channel (a channel/a way where the water leaves the dam if there is too much water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.