Danger in Northern California – level 3
Two overflow channels of the Oroville Dam, a dam in northern California and the tallest dam in the USA, have been found damaged. Officials fear that the damaged spillway could release large amounts of flood water, so nearly 200,000 people had to evacuate.
According to the Red Cross, more than 500 people took refuge at an evacuation centre in a nearby town, but the shelter has run out of blankets and beds. As people are fleeing the potential flooding, a truck with more supplies got stuck in the gridlock.
People built Oroville Dam between 1962 and 1968 and at 230 metres high, it beats the well-known Hoover Dam, which is located just outside Las Vegas. It is taller than 12 metres.
Difficult words: spillway (if there is too much water in a dam, the water drains through here), flee (run away from a place of danger), gridlock (a situation when there is so much traffic for the cars to move).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.