Dangerous baby powder – level 1
Johnson&Johnson is a US company. It sells healthcare products. It also sells baby powder. Many people think that the powder is dangerous.
Talc is in the baby powder. Talc is a soft grey rock. Asbestos is in the talc. Asbestos is very dangerous. It can give people cancer.
38,000 people do legal actions against Johnson&Johnson. The company says that the product is safe. Many people do not buy the powder.
Then, journalists learn about Johnson&Johnson. The company knows for many years that the product is not safe.
In 2021, the company stops selling the powder in the US and Canada. In 2023, it will not be possible to buy it. They will make a new powder with safe ingredients.
Difficult words: baby powder (a powder to dry and smooth the skin), cancer (a disease that makes a body part grow too much), ingredient (one of the things in a product).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos