Dangerous baby powder – level 3
Johnson&Johnson is the world’s largest healthcare company; in 2023, it will stop its global sale of its controversial talc baby powder. The change is happening more than two years after the company ended sales of the product in the US and Canada.
The baby powder drew about 38,000 consumer lawsuits over alleged materials that cause cancer, and the product’s demand felt. Johnson&Johnson denied all allegations and called them misinformation; however, last week, it announced that it would shift to a cornstarch baby powder. They already sell it in several countries around the world.
Johnson&Johnson repeatedly said that its talc products were safe, and they didn’t cause cancer; however, people found evidence the company knew asbestos was present in its products for decades.
Difficult words: talc (a soft, grey mineral with a soapy feel), cornstarch (a flour made from corn or maize that people usually use as a thickener in cooking), asbestos (a heat resistant mineral with long and thin fibers).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.