Dangerous driver – level 3
Could this be Britain’s worst driver?
Footage has emerged of Leedsman driving recklessly on the A1 in Richmond, North Yorkshire.
The footage from North Yorkshire Police shows the man undertaking a lorry on the hard shoulder, swerving into the fast lane and then breaking hard in front of another car.
The man who was unaware he was being filmed swerves violently in front of another vehicle and then slams on the breaks.
He won’t be doing any more dodgy driving, as the man has been banned from getting behind the wheel for 12 months, after pleading guilty to dangerous driving.
PC Andy Grainge of Northallerton Police, described the offence as ‘a very dangerous manoeuvre,’ also going on to say ‘it is extremely fortunate that no-one was injured.’
The driver was also sentenced to 150 hours unpaid work and was ordered to pay a fine of £85.
Difficult words: footage (video), recklessly (not caring about possible danger), undertake (catch up with and pass another vehicle), hard shoulder (area at the side of a road where you can stop), swerve (to make a sudden sideways movement), slam on the brakes (to slow down very fast), dodgy (risky and dangerous), PC (police constable), offence (crime).
Where are you from? Do people drive safely there?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.