Dangerous Turbulence – level 3
Terrifying footage shows passengers on a packed plane praying and crying as it experiences severe and unexpected turbulence, rocking it from side to side.
More than 30 people travelling on the Etihad Airways flight to Indonesia were injured when the plane suddenly hit turbulence. Many suffered broken bones and, according to reports, nine of those hurt are still in hospital. Passengers can be seen raising their hands in the air as they fear for the unknown.
The plane was flying from the Emirati capital of Abu Dhabi to Jakarta in Indonesia yesterday and it did land safely. It was about 45 minutes away from Jakarta, flying over Sumatra, when the turbulence hit. It’s understood officials from the airport and Indonesian National Transportation Safety Committee have inspected the plane.
The Federal Aviation Administration says that most turbulence accidents happen at 30,000 feet (9.1 kilometres) or above. It can be hard to predict and the injuries it causes cannot always be prevented by wearing seat belts.
Difficult words: packed (full of people), rock (to move), prevent (to stop something bad from happening).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.