David Bowie died – level 3
David Bowie has died from cancer at the age of 69. The influential singer-songwriter and producer was famous for his music, style and contribution to the world of music. Known for his eccentric and ever changing sense of style, his over 40-year career spanned glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance, pop, punk and electronica.
He had just released his 25th album, Blackstar, on January 8th, which was his birthday.
The singer’s publicist confirmed the news on his Facebook page saying, “David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month-battle with cancer.”
Stars and influential figures have paid tribute to a man considered by many one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.
Difficult words: influential (having an influence – a power to change something), contribution (a gift), eccentric (strange or interesting), span (to include), courageous (brave).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.