Day of the Skull – level 2
A week after All Saints’ Day, Bolivians celebrated an old tradition. They call it the Day of the Skull.
People decorate skulls of the dead and parade them to the cemetery. People put hats and flowers on the skulls. They even give them food and cigarettes during the ceremony. People believe that this brings them good luck and protection.
The Roman Catholic Church does not like this tradition.
Difficult words: skull (the head of a dead person), decorate (to make beautiful), parade (to walk together to celebrate something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like this celebration?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.