Dead migrants in a truck – level 3
People discovered the bodies of 50 migrants inside a tractor-trailer in San Antonio, Texas. The recent incident was one of the deadliest attempts to smuggle people on the US-Mexico border.
The incident happened in a place where temperatures topped 40 degrees Celsius. According to authorities, the vehicle was refrigerated; however, no water was inside nor a working air-conditioning unit. Mexico’s foreign minister confirmed that the dead included 22 Mexicans, seven Guatemalans, and two Hondurans.
Police arrested three people; they aren’t sure yet if they’re connected to the incident. Once again, the deaths highlight the challenge to control the high number of migrant movement at the US-Mexico border. Mexico blamed trafficking and a lack of government control for the incident.
Difficult words: tractor-trailer (a large truck with a long trailer attached to the back), smuggle (to move something illegally into or out of a country), trafficking (the purchase or sale of people or the demand for their money from their work).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.