Deaths in Myanmar – level 2
The Rohingya are a small ethnic group who live in Myanmar and who are discriminated by people in Myanmar. A UN official states that people may kill thousands of Rohingya Muslims.
The UN investigators discovered that in 2017 Myanmar security officers hurt and violated many Rohingya by doing what they called “clearing operations”. More than 730,000 Rohingya sought refuge in Bangladesh. The UN reports that the Myanmar government is doing nothing to stop the violence.
On Tuesday, the leader of the investigators reported that the situation of the Rohingya in Rakhine state is getting worse. He said that the Rohingya are living in continued mistreatment and separation from others, and they do not have “access to land, jobs, education and health care.”
Difficult words: ethnic (related to a culture), discriminate (treat a person or people differently), violate (attack sexually), seek refuge (look for shelter or protection from danger).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos