Doctors separate twins – level 3
Doctors in Brazil successfully separated three-year-old twins who were born conjoined at the head, and for the first time, the boys were able to lay face-to-face.
In 2018, Arthur and Bernardo Lima were born in a rural part of northern Brazil, and they shared part of the brain and main vein that carries blood to the heart. They were the oldest twins with a fused brain to have separation surgery. Doctors spent months researching and preparing for the surgery, and they practiced on virtual reality projections of the twins. For the first time, surgeons in separate countries wore headsets, and they operated in the same virtual reality room together.
The twins had seven surgeries, and the final operation involved more than 27 hours of operating time and almost 100 medical staff.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.