Dog moves like a kangaroo – level 3
They say it’s a dog’s life, but for Estrella, born without her front legs, she’s adapted to more of a kangaroo way of living. The Peruvian mutt hasn’t let her disability hold her back, gaining celebrity status in the small town of Tinga Maria.
The one-and-a-half-year-old has been adopted by the owners of an animal shelter after being found abandoned in the street at six months old.
The centre, run by Ivan Escobar and his wife, has been receiving a large number of visitors since the arrival of their new handicapped member. The couple has been taking advantage of Estrella’s fame to raise funds and, as a result, they’ve been able to take in more abandoned animals.
They say they’ve loved watching her develop her new walking skills.
Estrella’s disability does not bring her down and she often plays with the shelter’s dogs like a regular pup. It’s hoped she’ll make families think twice before abandoning pets born with defects.
Difficult words: it’s a dog’s life (a saying that dogs have easy lives), mutt (a dog), gain (to get), shelter (a safe place), abandoned (left alone without help), pup (a young dog).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos