Donkey is saved in Ireland – level 3
The smile of one happy donkey. Mike the donkey has been rescued from floods in Ireland after he was spotted stranded in deep water.
A group of selfless rescuers from a local running club set out to move the donkey who had gotten stuck after strong winds blew over a gate and shed, allowing him to get out. The brave group put a lifebuoy on the animal’s neck to tow him back to safety and he looked pretty grateful about it.
Mike’s owner was extremely upset that he’d become stranded and was even in tears as he was being rescued.
The team behind the donkey’s safe return has been branded heroes and Mike is now recovering from his adventure in a warm animal shelter before being returned to his home and his owner.
Difficult words: spot (to see), stranded (stuck, unable to move), selfless (unselfish), shed (a simple building with a roof), tow (to pull), grateful (thankful), brand (to give name to), shelter (a safe place).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos