Dragons in New York – level 2
There is a new exhibit in a zoo in New York. Visitors can see three Komodo dragons there. Two are male and one is female. The trio is still just teenagers. They are just over five feet long (1.5 metres). The adult males can grow up to nine feet (2.7m) from nose to tail and weigh around 163 kilos.
These dragons are from the Indonesian islands. They can eat small as well as large animals like deer and buffalo. If a dragon bites its prey and the prey does not die, the dragon can simply wait. The prey dies later because the dragon’s saliva is toxic.
Difficult words: exhibit (show), trio (group of three), prey (animal that is eaten by another animal), saliva (liquid in the mouth).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos