Drivers cannot get home – level 3
On Monday last week, between 18 to 28 centimeters of snow fell on I-95, the US East Coast´s major north-south artery, during a blizzard.
Hundreds of motorists were stranded overnight in freezing temperatures after a pileup of tractor trailers disrupted private and commercial traffic. Multiple vehicles were in the crash, and it brought the roadway to a standstill, as heavy snow continued to add to traffic. While some motorists abandoned their vehicles, others faced a serious situation as they ran out of gas, and they had no food or water.
Authorities closed an 80-kilometer part of the road so workers could remove the stopped trucks, treat the road for snow and icing, and guide the motorists to nearby interchanges. The event came at the end of a difficult holiday travel season with supplies disrupted and flights canceled due to weather and COVID-19 related absences.
Difficult words: artery (an important route in a system of roads), interchange (a part of a highway where roads are arranged in different levels so that vehicles can move without crossing the streams of traffic), absence (when you are gone from somewhere, usually school or work).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.