Driving in Saudi Arabia – level 3
Saudi Arabia was the only country with a ban on women drivers, but this Sunday became a historic day when the ban lifted.
Loolooah Al Fireiji, a female citizen who talked to the media, said that the move was urgent because women have entered the workforce. She personally will still have a driver, but she will keep the licence with her in case of an emergency.
Granting women the legal right has been welcomed by many and could also help boost the Saudi economy through female participation.
Difficult words: ban (a law which says that somebody must not do something), lift (end), urgent (needed quickly), grant (let, allow), boost (help, increase), participation (taking part in something, such as working).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos