Earth Hour – level 1
Earth Hour is a campaign. It happens on the last Saturday of March. It tells people about climate change. It tells people to turn off the lights for one hour. Some people do so.
Earth Hour started in Sydney. It started in 2007. Now, around 7,000 cities turn off the lights. They save energy like this. They help the planet.
Difficult words: earth (our planet), campaign (a plan to tell people about something), climate change (the changing of the climate – weather).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Did you turn off the lights?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.