Earthquake in Athens – level 2
On Friday 19th, a strong earthquake hit Athens, the capital of Greece. People say that no one died, and no one was seriously injured, although the magnitude of the earthquake was 5.1.
The epicentre of the earthquake was only about 14 miles from the city, but only some abandoned buildings were damaged.
Sometimes there are earthquakes in Greece, but not usually in Athens. This was the biggest earthquake since 1999. At that time, one hundred and forty-three people died and many buildings were destroyed.
Difficult words: magnitude (strength – how strong something is), epicentre (the point on the earth which is above the centre of an earthquake), abandoned (old and without any people living there).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos