Earthquake in Mexico – level 3
A huge 8.2 magnitude earthquake hit off of Mexico’s southern coast in the Pacific Ocean at night last Thursday. Residents were forced out into the streets as buildings swayed violently for up to a minute. Severe damage was reported in Oaxaca and Chiapas states as buildings fell apart.
The death toll continues to rise and a tsunami warning was issued in the wake of what the country’s president described as Mexico’s strongest quake in a century.
Difficult words: sway (move), death toll (the number of dead people), in the wake of (following something, especially as a consequence).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this sheep?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos