Earthquake in Nepal – level 3
This amateur drone footage filmed a day after the Nepal earthquake shows a moving bird’s eye view of the devastation in Katmandu. The images show toppled monuments, huge cracks across major roads, and damage to residential buildings across the city. The destruction of famous landmarks can be seen, such as the nine-storey Dharahara tower. The historical monument was built as a watch tower in the 1800’s.
The number of people killed in the devastating magnitude 7.8 quake has now risen above 3,700. People began fleeing the capital on Monday, terror-stricken by two days of powerful aftershocks and looming shortages of food and water.
Thousands of the sick and wounded are now living out in the open because of the fear of more collapsing buildings.
Difficult words: bird’s eye view (view from the air), topple (to cause to fall), huge (very big), residential (where people live), landmark (a famous building), devastating (very bad), magnitude (strength), fleeing (leaving quickly), aftershock (a smaller earthquake after a big one), loom (about to happen), shortage (when there is not enough of something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos