Earthquakes in Ecuador – level 3
Captured on camera – footage of an earthquake in Ecuador showing people scrambling on the streets as the ground beneath them shakes. Two quakes struck the South American country, resulting in one death and light damage in the same region where a magnitude 7.8 tremor killed more than 650 just last month. In comparison, these tremors measured 6.7 and 6.8 in magnitude according to the US geological survey.
Visibly distressed, the footage shows Ecuadoreans in commotion and traffic stopping to a standstill.
Unlike the devastating earthquake in April, this tremor only caused light injuries and one fatality for which the cause remains unclear. The tremors caused minor damage, mainly hitting infrastructure that had already been destroyed in the April disaster, which made nearly 29,000 Ecuadoreans homeless and claimed the lives of many.
The fearful reaction seen in the footage shows the continued effects of the last earthquake on the people of Ecuador.
Difficult words: scramble (to move fast in panic), magnitude (the strength), tremor (an earthquake), commotion (in panic), fatality (a death), minor (small), infrastructure (the roads, power supplies, and buildings that people need).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.