Ed Sheeran wins in court – level 3
The British singer Ed Sheeran has won a court battle over a plagiarism accusation for his hit single “Shape of You”.
“Shape of You” was the world’s best-selling song of 2017 with more than three billion plays on Spotify alone. Sami Chokri, who performs under the name Sami Switch, said the ‘oh I, oh I, oh I’ was strikingly similar to the chorous of his song that he released two years earlier. Sheeran told the court that the contested part of “Shape of You” was very short, and the relevant parts of both songs were common.
In a video posted on social media, Sheeran said that he was happy; however, he criticized a growing culture to file baseless claims with the idea that it was cheaper for a songwriter to settle than fight a claim. He said that this practice was damaging to the songwriting industry.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.