Egypt Discovery – level 3
Over 80 ancient Egyptian coffins were discovered in the vast burial complex of Saqqara, which is also home to one of the world´s oldest pyramids and flat-roofed tombs and it is located 30 kilometers south of the capital city of Cairo.
The Egyptian Prime Minister toured the area, he viewed the finds, and he looked inside the coffins. The discovery included finely painted sarcophagi as well as colored and gilded wooden statues that are around 2,500 years old. Details will be announced soon in a news conference at the famed Pyramid of Djoser.
Egypt is seeking ways to publicize its archaeological finds in an effort to revive its key tourism sector, which was badly hit by the turmoil that followed the 2011 uprising.
Difficult words: sarcophagus (a stone coffin that is typically associated with the ancient civilizations of Egypt), gilded (covered with gold or golden color), uprising (a fight against the people who are in power).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.