Egyptian Man Becomes a Woman – level 1
Muhammad comes from Egypt. Muhammad is not happy. He feels he is a woman. He does not understand his feelings. He cannot talk to anyone about them.
Doctors in Egypt do many tests. They check Muhammad´s blood and brain. Muhammad must take personality tests. Doctors think that Muhammad has mental problems.
After many years, doctors say that Muhammad can have an operation. The operation makes him a woman. He is happy. Muhammad becomes Farida.
Farida´s life is not easy. People in Egypt are very conservative. Her family does not want her anymore. She loses her job. She must move to another town. People do not know about her past there. Farida teaches children in her area now. She would like to have a child in the future, too.
Difficult words: personality test (a test that helps find out what somebody is like as a person), mental (connected to the mind and thoughts), conservative (when people like traditional things and they do not like new or modern things and ideas).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.