Egyptian Presidents – level 3
Nearly 90 per cent of Egyptian voters approved of granting President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi more parliamentary power.
The new amendments extend Egyptian presidents’ terms from four to six years, and they allow for a maximum of two terms. However, an article specific to El-Sissi extends his current four-year term to six, and it allows him to run again in 2024, meaning that he could stay in office until 2030. Sissi thanked the Egyptian people in a tweet on Tuesday, saying that the vote would be written down in Egyptian historical record.
All this comes as a surprise because in 2017, Sissi said that he would respect Egypt’s constitution, and he would not seek a third term. Last year, most voters re-elected him, which was not too surprising, as several rivals were either in jail or forced to quit.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.