El Paso Victims – level 1
On, August 3, 2019, a gunman shoots at people in a store. This happens in El Paso, Texas. He kills 22 people. He tells police that he shoots at people that he thinks are “Mexicans.”
Dia de los Muertos is a Mexican holiday. People also celebrate it in the USA. People make little areas called “altars” to remember the people who died.
Usually, people remember their relatives who died. For this year, people remember the victims who died in El Paso. They put objects in the altars such as flowers, candles, and candy skulls.
A Chicago museum also makes an altar for the victims.
Difficult words: gunman (a person who carries a gun or many guns on him), Mexican (a person who comes from Mexico; some people use this word to mean people who look like they come from Mexico), victim (a person who dies or gets hurt in an event), died (the past tense of “to die”).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.