El Salvador’s Festival of Fire – level 3
They say that you shouldn’t play with fire, but in El Salvador it seems hundreds of people have been throwing gasoline-soaked rags at one another. They risked serious burns for an annual church festival in the town of Nejapa.
The tradition honours a huge volcanic eruption in 1922. The fireball throwing is to remember the old town which the volcano destroyed.
However, another legend says that the hot lava flow from the volcano was actually the local Christian Saint Geronimo fighting the Devil with balls of fire.
The festival has been going for more a decade and there is still no set of rules. Authorities are quite concerned that one day things might get out of hand because of that. But for now, despite the obvious dangers, few major injuries have ever been reported.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.