Election in Kenya – level 2
A presidential election is taking place in Kenya. Raila Odinga is running against the country’s current president, Kenyatta.
The election is tight and problematic. An election official was murdered and there are claims of vote-rigging. People are afraid that there could be chaos if the losing party does not accept the result. More than 1,000 people died in the election of 2007.
Among the voters is a 102-year-old woman. She is one of Kenya’s oldest citizens. She is a proud Kenyan who believes that good leadership comes from God.
Difficult words: election (voting), claim (what some people say is true), vote-rigging (cheating).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos