Elephant meets tourists – level 3
A couple enjoying a trip in a national park in Thailand got a little bit closer to the wildlife than they hoped when an elephant went on a rampage and destroyed their car.
Yes, that’s right! This wild male elephant took to the roads running through the Khao Yai National Park and began rubbing up against cars and even attempted to sit on one.
The young couple who were inside the sedan was unharmed, but it was a close call, as the elephant left the vehicle badly damaged and ripped off the bumper.
Most of the drivers sat in their cars, waiting for the elephant to stop and one reversed, as the animal edged closer.
Park officials who’ve now imposed a driving restriction say there are around 300 wild elephants roaming around at this time of year because it’s mating season.
Difficult words: go on a rampage (to get angry or excited), attempt (to try), sedan (a type of car with four doors), unharmed (not hurt), close call (when something bad almost happened), rip off (to remove something forcefully), bumper (a part of the car in the front and back that protects the car), edge (to move slowly), impose (to put into effect), roam (to walk/move), mating season (the time when animals make babies).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.