Elephant Polo Tournament – level 2
The King’s Cup Elephant Polo takes place every year in Bangkok between 8th and 11th March. It is a tournament which raises money for elephant welfare. This year is the 16th year of the tournament, and it has raised 1.5 million US dollars.
An elephant osteopath said that all of the elephants were street elephants, and that would mean that sometimes they were on a short rope behind somebody’s house. Bringing the elephants to the tournament helps them because they are highly intelligent and they need to be active.
There are three elephants per team and two people per elephant. One person is the player and the second one handles the elephant.
Difficult words: tournament (a series of contests), welfare (well-being, being healthy), osteopath (a doctor who helps with massage of the body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos