Elephants retire from a circus – level 3
It’s described as “the Greatest Show on Earth”. But now, after 145 years as the centrepiece of the Ringling Brothers’ Circus travelling across the United States, the show’s last remaining 11 elephants have arrived at a conservation centre in Florida to officially retire.
Meet Asia, the 48-year-old veteran entertainer who spent decades delighting crowds. She, and the other remaining 10, will spend their days outside from now on.
“It’s been in the sense that after 145 years our elephants will no longer be a part of our travelling circus shows. It’s the end of an era, its sweet in a sense and at the end of the day, it’s about these magnificent creatures and conservation, and ensuring that these guys will be around for many generations to come.”
Fewer than 40,000 elephants remain in the wild. Two hundred and fifty are in captivity in the United States, 39 of which are now at this 200-acre centre. The endangered Asian elephants have spent most of their lives in front of crowds of people, but while many may see this as an end of an era, others would argue it’s time for a well-earned rest.
Difficult words: delight (to make somebody happy), magnificent (impressive, awesome).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos