Elon Musk fires 3,700 people – level 3
After his 44-billion-dollar purchase of the social media platform, Elon Musk fired Twitter’s top executives, including the CEO, CFO, and legal affairs and policy chiefs.
On Friday, Musk fired over 3,700 employees, and he blamed activist groups for a massive drop in profit. In a company-wide memo, he informed the staff that they’d receive an email at their personal accounts to say if they’d been fired. The Washington Post revealed he planned to lay off nearly 75% of Twitter’s employee base of 7,500 workers.
Musk also announced he’d charge eight dollars a month to users who wanted to have a blue tick mark by their name. The tick mark indicates that their account had been verified. Some media said that Musk quickly caused chaos, and they wondered about Twitter’s future under Musk’s leadership.
Difficult words: memo (a brief written message from one person to another in the same organization), lay off (to stop employing or to fire someone), verify (to confirm that something is true or accurate).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos