Empty Czech Capital – level 1
The Czech Republic is a small country in Central Europe. Its capital city is Prague. Prague is a beautiful historical city. Many tourists come to Prague every year. The streets are usually crowded.
However, the situation is different now. The coronavirus is in the Czech Republic. The government closes schools, restaurants, and many shops. People must stay at home. People cannot travel in and out of the country. There are no tourists. Prague is very quiet and empty.
There are 6,500 people with the coronavirus. 170 people die from the coronavirus. The country has one of the strictest rules in Europe. People must wear face masks outside. Many people are not happy about it. The government wants to change some rules next week.
Difficult words: historical (very old), crowded (full of people), rule (what people must and must not do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos