Equal Pay Day – level 1
April 10 is Equal Pay Day for all people.
An actress writes an essay. She asks why she makes less money than male actors. Another actor says that his co-star has an award for acting in a TV show. He asks why she makes less money than he does in that TV show. A woman quits from the BBC. She does this because the BBC pays women less money.
A tennis star also wants equal pay for black women. Oprah Winfrey says that the ‘Time’s Up Movement’ is for all women of the world. It is not just for famous women.
Difficult words: Equal Pay (when all people are paid similarly), male (men), co-star (a person who acts in a movie or a TV show with other actors), Time’s Up Movement (a group for women to get more rights).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos