Escalator catches man’s foot – level 2
A cleaner at a shopping centre in Shanghai had an accident. A metal step on one escalator opened and caught the man’s leg. The step trapped the man.
People called firefighters and they saved him. Unfortunately, doctors were unable to save his foot and they had to amputate it. The man is now recovering in hospital.
The incident comes a week after a woman died at another shopping centre in central China. She was pulled into the escalator.
Difficult words: trap (to stop something from moving), amputate (to cut off an arm or leg), recover (to get better).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you afraid of escalators now?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.