EU and Russian energy – level 1
Russia attacks Ukraine in February. The EU reacts very quickly. Many companies stop doing business with Russia. They put many sanctions on Russia.
Interestingly, the EU still buys energy from Russia. Before the war starts, the EU buys 47% of coal, 41% of gas, and 27% of oil from Russia. The EU pays Russia more than 46 billion euros for energy since the start of the war. Ukrainian president Volodimir Zelensky is not happy. He says that Russia buys weapons with this money.
Europe will not buy Russian coal this summer. The US says that they can sell gas to the EU. Europe can also make more energy in nuclear plants.
Difficult words: sanction (a type of a punishment to make another country do something), weapon (a thing that can kill someone), nuclear plant (a factory which makes energy from small things called atoms).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos