European Super League – level 2
Managers of top European football clubs started to think about a European Super League more than 30 years ago.
The idea was that the European Super League would include the strongest and biggest football clubs in Europe. Many people worried that a European Super League would mean the end of the Champions League, which was the most popular football competition in the world.
The 12 biggest European football clubs signed up to the new league. Some of these clubs were Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester United. Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus were among the six clubs from Spain and Italy who also signed up.
Last week, football fans started to protest against the plan. 14 English clubs said that they did not agree with the new league. The UK prime minister Boris Johnson said that he would introduce a new law to stop the plans for a new league.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.