Ex-President Dies – level 2
Hosni Mubarak was the president of Egypt from 1981 to 2011. In 2011, there were many protests in Egypt. People protested against the political situation in the country and about poverty. Thousands of people wanted Mubarak to resign.
In 2011, Mubarak was arrested. Authorities killed protesters during the Egyptian revolution, and he could stop it. However, he did not do it. Mubarak went to prison, and he stayed there for several years. He had a lot of health problems in prison.
In 2017, Mubarak got out from prison. Recently, he had a surgery in a hospital in Cairo, the capital city. He died in the same hospital.
Difficult words: poverty (when people are very poor), resign (to formally leave a job), revolution (the change of a political system of a country; revolutions are often violent and have many protests).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos