Exercise and get a free ticket – level 3
Would you do 10 squats for free travel? Metro users in Mexico City are being offered just that. It’s as the country has declared a public health priority after ranking second in the world for having the highest rate of obesity. Lawmakers there have introduced a measure to promote exercise as the government estimates that some 37 million people qualify as obese.
Fifty thousand free tickets will be given out to those users who do squats at the 30 so-called “health stations” in 21 Metrobus stations. “The Health Stations” are equipped with an electronic meter that asks the user to perform 10 consecutive squats. As the user performs each squat, it offers tips on how to lead a healthier life.
“I think it’s a very good activity. It’s promoting having good health to people who spend a lot of time sitting down, without doing anything. I think it’s a very good option.”
Clinics dedicated to treating overweight patients have been opened in 12 stations of the Public Transport System. They provide advice, free medical treatments and operations at a fraction of the cost in private hospitals.
Experts say one reason why obesity is such a problem in Mexico stems from the power of multinational food and beverage firms, particularly those from the United States.
Difficult words: squat (when you get down by bending the knees), consecutive (following one after another), stem from (to come from), beverage (a drink).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos