Expensive oil – level 3
Oil prices soared above 9% on Monday, and they hit their highest level since 2008.
The price of natural gas is closely linked to crude oil. The global benchmark of Brent crude hit 139 dollars a barrel on Monday. The record was reached in July 2008 for $147.5 dollars a barrel; however, some analysts think that this record could be passed because of the geopolitical impact of the Ukraine crisis. The US and European allies of Ukraine are considering a ban on Russian oil; however, this would put pressure on oil and gas supply. Global oil prices have increased by 67% since the start of this year, and they increased fuel prices.
Analysts said that if most of Russia’s oil stopped being sold, the world could be without 5 million barrels. That meant that oil prices could double from 100 to 200 dollars a barrel.
Difficult words: crude (raw), benchmark (a standard that people use to measure or judge other things of the same type), geopolitical (relating to politics from a country’s size, position, and so on).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos