Explosions in Brussels – level 3
Three explosions in Belgium have been reported: two in Zaventem Airport and a third at a metro station close to the EU buildings in Brussels.
Footage shows people running away from the departures as smoke can clearly be seen rising from the airport building. Some Belgium media have reported that the airport explosions were caused by a suicide attack, and there are reports of gunfire heard at the airport before the blast.
The aftermath of the explosion has been captured and shared online. The Belgium fire service told the local media there were multiple fatalities and casualties and figures are expected to rise. Flights have been cancelled at the airport, which has been evacuated. Images of smoke coming from the Brussels metro station have also been circulating on social media.
The metro system in Brussels has been closed as the city goes into lockdown, and the terror threat in Belgium has been raised to maximum level 4 across the country following the blasts. They come just four days after the capture in Brussels of Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the Paris attacks in November.
Difficult words: blast (an explosion), aftermath (the situation after a disaster), fatality (a death), casualty (a death or an injury), figure (a number), circulate (to go around).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.