Extreme Weather in Peru – level 3
An unusual amount of rain hit Peru and it has recently been putting some 200,000 people at risk, killing at least 60 people this year and more than a dozen people in the last three days. Rescue teams are helping the families who have lost their livelihoods.
A video recently emerged of a woman making a remarkable escape from a mudslide full of debris. You can see her walking herself to safety before she collapses from exhaustion. People then took her to hospital. People believe that she had no serious injuries.
Difficult words: livelihood (a source of income), debris (pieces of broken things), exhaustion (extreme tiredness).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos