Facebook Moderators Have Problems – level 3
Facebook has agreed to pay $52 million to current and former content moderators who have developed post-traumatic stress disorder, PTSD, on the job.
Facebook´s content moderators are contract workers who view and remove posts that violate community guidelines. A law firm, that represents a former contractor, said that Facebook content moderators daily watch thousands of videos and images of child sexual abuse, murder, and suicide.
Moderators who are diagnosed with PTSD or a related condition are eligible for the money. Facebook will pay a minimum of $1,000 per moderator, and the company will also give more counseling while they are at work. Facebook said that the company is grateful to the people who do this important work, and it will provide them support in the future, too.
Difficult words: content moderator (a person whose job is to monitor what people post on social media), post-traumatic stress disorder (problems with mental health that are caused by a terrifying event or experience), violate (to not follow).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.