Family Lives With Lions – level 3
When most people tell you that they have a couple of cats at home, you probably don’t expect them to have lion cubs, but it is true for one family in Gaza.
The cubs’ names are Mona and Alex, and they were born in the battle-torn Gaza Strip to parents that were smuggled through a tunnel along the border with Egypt. Gazan refugee Saed Eldin al-Jamal bought the baby lions from a zoo after the economic situation forced the zoo owner to sell them.
The owner used to take the cubs back to the zoo every night to be breastfed by their mom, but recently they have been weaned and now live in the family home all the time. The cats also became part of the local community and children play with them when they go out for walks.
The cubs look quite at home with the family, but animal experts warned that having lions at home with children can be dangerous and that they will need a more suitable environment when they grow bigger.
Difficult words: -torn (destroyed), smuggle (move something from one country to another illegally), refugee (a person who has to leave his or her country), wean (start eating food other than the mother’s milk).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think of this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos