Fashion Companies and the Environment – level 3
The fifteen largest fashion companies are falling short when it comes to meeting the social and environmental targets of the 2016 Paris Climate Agreement.
Brands were scored out of 100 in their progress towards meeting 16 targets relating to emissions, waste, workers’ rights, water, and materials. Companies ranked based on transparency of their practices and the average score for the 15 big companies was 36 points. On average, waste and workers’ rights were the companies’ biggest downfalls.
The fashion industry is under increasing pressure from consumers and governments to clean up its act, and according to statistics, it is responsible for at least 4% of global greenhouse gas emissions. According to reports, more than 70% of consumers regard sustainability when making a purchase.
Difficult words: fall short (to fail to meet an expectation or standard), downfall (something that causes a loss of power or status), transparency (how much a company tells about how they work), sustainability (the idea that things should be produced in ways that do not damage the environment).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.